Current:Home > ContactCommunications blackout and spiraling hunger compound misery in Gaza Strip as war enters 11th week -TradeWise
Communications blackout and spiraling hunger compound misery in Gaza Strip as war enters 11th week
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:08:01
RAFAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — A prolonged communications blackout that severed telephone and internet connections compounded the misery Saturday in the besieged Gaza Strip, where a United Nations agency said hunger levels had spiraled in recent days.
Internet and telephone lines went down Thursday evening and were still inaccessible Saturday morning, according to internet access advocacy group NetBlocks.org, hampering aid deliveries and rescue efforts as Israel’s war against Gaza’s ruling militant group Hamas stretched into the 11th week.
“The internet blackout is ongoing, and based on our records it is the longest such incident” in the over-two-month war, said Alp Toker, the group’s director. The United Nations’ humanitarian affairs department said communications with Gaza were “severely disrupted” due to damage to telecommunications lines in the south.
The offensive, triggered by the unprecedented Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel, has flattened much of northern Gaza and driven 85% of Gaza’s population of 2.3 million from their homes. Displaced people have squeezed into shelters mainly in the south in a spiraling humanitarian crisis.
The United States, Israel’s closest ally, has expressed unease over Israel’s failure to reduce civilian casualties and its plans for the future of Gaza, but the White House continues to offer wholehearted support with weapons shipments and diplomatic backing.
In meetings with Israeli leaders on Thursday and Friday, United States national security adviser Jake Sullivan discussed a timetable for winding down the intense combat phase of the war. U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin was also expected to visit Israel soon to discuss the issue.
The U.S. has pushed Israel to allow more aid into Gaza, and the government said it would open a second entry point to speed up deliveries.
With only a trickle of aid able to enter and distribution disrupted by fighting, the U.N.’s World Food Program reported a surge from 38% to 56% in the number of displaced households experiencing severe levels of hunger in the space of under two weeks. In the north, where aid has been unable to enter, “households … are expected to face a catastrophic situation,” the WFP said.
The offensive has killed more than 18,700 Palestinians, the Health Ministry in Hamas-run Gaza said Thursday before the communications blackout. Thousands more are missing and feared dead beneath the rubble. The ministry does not differentiate between civilian and combatant deaths. Its latest count did not specify how many were women and minors, but they have consistently made up around two-thirds of the dead in previous tallies.
In their Oct. 7 attack, Hamas militants killed about 1,200 people in Israel, most of them civilians, and took more than 240 hostage.
On Friday, Israeli troops mistakenly shot and killed three hostages in Gaza City in the north. An Israeli strike killed a Palestinian journalist and wounded another in the southern city of Khan Younis, both working for the Al Jazeera television network. The two were reporting at a school that had been hit by an earlier airstrike when a drone launched a second strike, the network said.
According to the Committee to Protect Journalists, Samer Abu Daqqa was the 64th journalist to be killed since the conflict erupted: 57 Palestinians, four Israelis and three Lebanese.
Khan Younis has been the main target of Israel’s ground offensive in the south.
In the north, the hostages were killed in the Gaza City area of Shijaiyah, where Israeli troops have been engaged in fierce fighting with Hamas militants in recent days. The soldiers mistakenly identified the three Israelis as a threat and opened fire on them, said the army’s chief spokesperson, Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari.
Hundreds of protesters blocked Tel Aviv’s main highway late Friday in a spontaneous demonstration calling for the hostages’ return. The hostages’ plight has dominated public discourse in Israel since the Oct. 7 attack. Their families have led a powerful public campaign calling on the government to do more to bring them home.
Anger over the mistaken killing of the three hostages — young men in their 20s — is likely to increase pressure on the government to renew Qatar-mediated negotiations with Hamas over swapping more captives for Palestinians imprisoned in Israel.
Hamas released over 100 hostages for Palestinian prisoners in November. Nearly all those freed on both sides were women and minors. Talks on further swaps broke down, with Hamas seeking the release of more veteran prisoners for female soldiers it is holding.
Israeli political and military leaders often say freeing all the hostages is their top aim in the war alongside destroying Hamas. However, they argue that their release can only be achieved through military pressure on Hamas, a claim that has sharply divided public opinion.
After negotiations broke down, Hamas said it will only free the remaining hostages, believed to number more than 130, if Israel ends the war and releases all Palestinian prisoners. As of late November, Israel held nearly 7,000 Palestinians accused or convicted of security offenses, including hundreds rounded up since the start of the war.
___
Magdy reported from Cairo. Elena Becatoros contributed from Athens, Greece.
veryGood! (824)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- EV tax credit for certain Tesla models may be smaller in 2024. Which models are at risk?
- Facebook parent sued by New Mexico alleging it has failed to shield children from predators
- The UK apologizes to families of 97 Liverpool soccer fans killed after a stadium crush 34 years ago
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Norfolk Southern to end relocation aid right after one-year anniversary of its fiery Ohio derailment
- Metal detectorist finds very rare ancient gold coin in Norway — over 1,600 miles away from its origin
- US experts are in Cyprus to assist police investigating alleged sanctions evasion by Russians
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Slovakia’s new government closes prosecutor’s office that deals with corruption and serious crimes
Ranking
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- British government plans to ignore part of UK’s human rights law to revive its Rwanda asylum plan
- Trainers at New Jersey police seminar disparaged women, made ‘inappropriate’ remarks, officials say
- California inmate charged with attempted murder in attack on Kristin Smart’s killer
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Police: Suspect dead amid reports of multiple victims in shooting at University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Biden backs Native American athletes' quest to field lacrosse team at 2028 Olympics
- Pope says he’s ‘much better’ after a bout of bronchitis but still gets tired if he speaks too much
Recommendation
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Jimmy Kimmel honors TV legend Norman Lear: 'A hero in every way'
Rosalynn Carter advocated for caregivers before the term was widely used. I'm so grateful.
Nordstrom's Holiday Sale has Wishlist-Worthy Finds up to 81% off from SKIMS, Kate Spade, Dior & More
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Boy killed after being mauled by 2 dogs in Portland
New Mexico Looks to Address Increasing Aridity With Brackish and Produced Water. Experts Are ‘Skeptical’
Union representing German train drivers calls strike that will hit passenger services